sábado, 12 de febrero de 2011

Mixer language exchange

http://www.language-exchanges.org/es/content/welcome

I have been testing the last few days this methodology that allows one to speak with others across the globe.  It is for all levels of Spanish speaking ability.  I  have set up skype counterparties in Spain, Bolivia, Colombia, Chile, and Argentina, using this language mixer. We are swapping time  so they can practice English, and allowing me time to speak  in Spanish.  Pardon the overly personal nature of this blogpost, but I am able to understand TV, podcasts, etc. in Spanish, but lack the avenue for speaking in Spanish- hence I know I lack the fluency I would like.  I now have a way where I can set up, in advance ( I have 30 minutes tomorrow scheduled with a Spanish instructor in Spain who also wants to speak English), or on an impromptu basis,  conversations that allow me to speak in Spanish.  At the end of the session, via instant skypechat, the counter party then makes suggestions for improvement.   It requires you to set up a site on the main web page saying what languages you are interested in practicing, as well as your native language.  The site originator has been, for the most part, successful in keeping it to a language mixer, not a dating site.

The program was started by a professor at Dickinson College in Carlyle PA, and is worth looking into if you feel you aren't getting enough speaking opportunities.   If any members of Sociedad Hispana would like to set up an internal mechanism within our organization to do the same thing I would be pleased to assist.

3 comentarios:

  1. I would like to practice French, Portuguese, Italian and German (in writing) in order to keep those languages "fresh as cold cuts". Please advise what else should I do in order to pursue with this matter. Thanks

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Go on the sight linked above, after logging in, select each language you want to practice. Add your skype name, or email, and the look for responses. Having so many languages fresh as cold cuts may also require divine intervention.

    ResponderBorrar