viernes, 17 de diciembre de 2010

Fluency in spanish in nine months

http://www.notesinspanish.com/fluent_report/zero_to_fluent_spanish.pdf

Ben and Marina (Notes in spanish advanced) have posted an interesting download on how to become fluent in spanish in nine months. They also ask  the question- when can you call yourself fluent?  It is worth noting the suggestions provided, and particularly not to worry too much about making mistakes.

While I doubt it can happen without living in a spanish speaking country,  I do find speaking and listening to spanish on a daily basis can help improve skills.   I do not call myself fluent, because while I understand others speaking quite easily, humor, songs and other cultural aspects frequently remain outside my understanding.  There are several things that I do as a matter of course to better my speaking and comprehension:


For those able to carry on a conversation over the phone-when you hear those ever more frequent recorded words from the computer:  (Oprima número dos para español-please push two for spanish) I always push the appropriate button and carry on in spanish.  Not only do you get a chance to practice spanish conversation, you frequently get a live person more quickly.

Watching spanish TV helps me penetrate the protective layer of humor that renders all languages difficult to learn.  For example, I watch a sitcom called La Familia P. Luche-to try and understand humor.  This is not a comment on the quality of the programming!  I also watch the European and Mexican soccer league games in spanish.

2 comentarios:

  1. I always liked the Spanish word for fluent, fluido. The joke was, the more fluids (tequila), the more fluid. I do not recommend my method to learn Spanish, but it worked. In 1985 I strapped two bags to a motorcycle, drove to Texas and made a left. Two weeks later the city was rocked by a devastating earthquake (8.1 on the richter). 10s of thousands were dead. After some semblance of normality returned, I enrolled in 6 week intensive course in UNAM. At the same time I got a job with a lawyer as a detective chasing people around Mexico City (on the motorcycle). He spoke no English and I knew barely Berlitz Spanish. The first half of that year, I could formulate sentences but not understand much of what people said back. The next six months reversed and I could understand better than I could keep up in the conversation. After about a year, I felt confident. My last assignment for the lawyer I had to wait outside a police station and follow a cop down to Xochimilco. That guy damn near killed me. I promptly resigned.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Great story! I think you should write a book about your experiences south of the border. I also think it would make a great comment on the note in spanish advanced blog referenced above.

    ResponderBorrar