martes, 31 de mayo de 2011

Club de libros- Riña de gatos-La Guerra Civil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Civil_War

As I started reading the book Riña de gatos, written by Eduardo Mendoza, (book to be discussed in the June monthly meeting), I realized I need some background information about the Guerra Civil, in order to understand the book.  In the early chapters, for example, the author mentions the Republicans, and the Nationalists, who may not be the folks you thought they were.  After reading George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia several weeks ago I realized I was unable to get my arms around the various combatants to the conflict.

The Wikipedia link solved my dilemma.  It is an interesting read,  as well as summarizing the conflict in a way that will put this month's book club selection in context.

2 comentarios:

  1. The book is amazing. It is making me search information about Spanish society before the civil war and about the civil war.

    The majority of characters that the book mentions were real people. And it is a good idea to search for information about these people when reading the book. Here I leave some links:
    - Azaña (president of the republic) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Azaña
    - Jose Antonio primo de Rivera (hijo del anterior dictador) http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Antonio_Primo_de_Rivera


    The army generals in the book were real too, actually one of them was the dictator that governed Spain during more than 40 years.

    ResponderBorrar